Things I Learned From My First Job


My first job was as a cosmetician in a pharmacy. that lasted about 8 months. I sold high end and low end make-up and skincare products, and came across a few unexpected things, so here are some things I learned from my first job. This is just my point of view and what I observed at my first job. This will not apply to everyone.

People get hired for experience, not qualification.
I am an esthetician and a make-up artist, so selling skin care and cosmetics is something i am literally trained in. from having to take actual courses in selling cosmetics, to knowing how to do a skin analysis and pick products for those conditions, as well as studying cosmetology and cosmetic ingredients. I'd say I was pretty qualified. But most of the other people I worked with weren't. I worked with a girl who told me she only got the job because they saw she had retail experience. another one was actually in the medical field but since she had a long resume of past jobs, she got in too. I thought you had to have some knowledge to get in, but nope. as long as you tell them you've sold something in your life, you'll get hired.

Clients are terrible people.
of course I've had nice clients who are really sweet and genuinely want your advice, and I'm always happy to give it. But a lot of them are not. I've had a lady Scream at us and Bring her husband to Scream at us, And threaten us. Because she said she bought a face cream, and opened it to find it in chunks, it looked like it was 10 years old, but we couldn't do the return because she didn't have the packaging, and we for some reason didn't carry that product with the same bar code any more, we figured it must have been an old box and the last one. She made one of my co workers cry. Then the next day, another girl I worked with said she recognized her. She had been kicked out of the store before for filling up containers with different products then returning them to get free money. I've had people buying products that where on liquidation, tell me i'm mean, and cold-hearted for not giving them a sample of a $150.00 cream, that i am only allowed to give out when you purchase something from thst brand. People just really suck.

You have rights too.
there where lots of sketchy things going on where I worked, they would get mad at the people who couldn't attend the brand trainings that took place almost an hour away, and during school days. But, they also didn't pay us for those trainings. which they're supposed to especially if they're saying you can't be good at your job if you don't go. They would always move our shifts around and cut hours suddenly. I was working part time and entitled to 20 hours a week. sometimes I'd receive 40, and then other times I'd get 15 hours over 2 weeks. you do have rights. Just because someone is employing you doesn't mean you shouldn't stand up to them if they are not giving you what you deserve.

So I hope this post was informative or you, keep these things in mind, you are working for someone but you do deserve to be treated fairly as well.

photo:http://www.golden-parachutes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/quit-job.jpg

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Find us on facebook

Instagram

Popular Posts